Adult sewing students will learn:
1. Basic Machine Operation: Threading Machine, Winding Bobbin, Machine Settings, etc.
2. Pattern Reading Skills: Fabric Layout, terminology, notches, proper folding of used pattern pieces
3. Quilting Fabric
4. Outside End Pockets: One will be a pleated zipper closure pocket
5. Notions: Proper Pinning, Measuring and marking skills, types of fabric markers
6. Zipper Installation: Long top zipper closure, Short pocket closure
7. How to use webbing to make a handle and partial fabric covering of handle
8. Inside pocket design
9. Personalizing your bag
And much, much more!
Our project will be an Overnight Duffle Bag measuring approximately 19 12/“ long X 11” tall X 10 1/2” deep using Simplicity Pattern# 2274. The bag has a 20” zipper closure across the top and pockets on the outside of each end with one being a pleated pocket including a 12” zipper. Inside pockets are optional. The handle is made of jute webbing 3 1/2” wide and covered with a contrasting fabric.
Most supplies included with the exception of a sewing machine, the outside fabric, handle fabric, and matching “all purpose” thread. This is so that you can make your own selection.
Supply list for students:
1 5/8 yard of 45” wide fabric in the quilting section of your local fabric store, for the body of the bag.
1/2 yard of 45” wide contrasting fabric 1 spool of matching “all purpose” thread, for the handle.
Students will need a sewing machine. If you do not have one, we can have a rental delivered for your class use for $20.00 cash payable to the instructor at the first class. If you need a machine, please text: 404-625-3709 and request one for (your name) and (your class start date).
The arts center cares about your health and safety, therefore, masks are required for all students and staff.